Balancing the Sword - A comprehensive study guide to life's manual
Perfect to frame the discussions of your family worship or a church-wide study.


Buy Now


Reading Planner

Vocabulary Tool





Study Support








Tell a Friend


Bookmark and Share

Iowa (IA) State - Homeschooling Laws and Regulations

Homeschooling is legal in every American state.  The Department of Education states, "Parents in all 50 states and the District of Columbia have the option to home school their children" (Department of Education, NCES). School attendance is compulsory for all children; however, parents have the legal right to withdrawal their children from government schools to enroll them in qualified private schools or to educate their children at home.  This is only proper considering the fact that the duty and the right to educate the next generation were appointed by God to parents even before God created governments.

Each state has laws that govern matters such as how parents are to declare their intention to homeschool and what topics must be included in your home-education program.  Some states require periodic standardized tests and more formal records be maintained. One of the great benefits of homeschooling is the liberty of homeschooling parents to choose their own curriculum.  GETTING STARTED CAN FEEL OVERWHELMING, BUT MULTITUDES OF PARENTS ARE HOMESCHOOLING AND SO CAN YOU!  It is my pleasure to help your research efforts.  Below are links to key government and non-government pages.

Iowa:  "A parent or legal guardian must file a report with the resident district by the first day of school or within 14 days of beginning home schooling if begun mid-school year. The report must include name and address of parent or guardian; name and birth date of the child; number of days of instruction (minimum of 148); name and address of the person providing the instruction and an indication of whether or not the instructor holds a valid Iowa practitioner license or teaching certificate appropriate to the age and grade level of the child; outline of the courses of study; texts to be used; evidence of immunization; indication of whether dual enrollment is being sought; whether or not the child is currently identified as a child needing special education; and an indication of which form of annual assessment is being administered. Iowa Code § 281. 31.2.1. A parent or legal guardian desiring dual enrollment must notify the district of residence not later than September 15. A child under dual enrollment may participate in academic or instructional programs or any extra-curricular activities in the district on the same basis as any regularly enrolled student. Iowa Code § 281.31.5 When a parent or legal guardian provides private instruction without the assistance or supervision of a validly licensed Iowa practitioner, the child is subject to initial baseline testing and an annual evaluation. Standardized testing or portfolio assessment may be chosen. Dual enrolled students may be tested as part of the public school testing program. Iowa Code § 281.31.7 Evaluations must be reported to the school district of residence and the department of education on later than June 30. Iowa Code § 299A.3 If the results of the evaluations indicate that the student has failed to make adequate progress, the parent or legal guardian must enroll the child in an accredited public or nonpublic school at the beginning of the next school year and shall continue attendance at an accredited public or nonpublic school until adequate progress is achieved. Iowa Code § 299A.6 When a child has been identified as currently requiring special education, the child is eligible to receive home instruction with the written approval of the director of special education of the area education agency of the child's district of residence. Iowa Code § 281.31.9." (Source:  "State Regulation of Private Schools," Iowa, by the U.S. Department of Education Office of Non-Public Education (2000).)



Disclaimer:  Balancing the Sword makes no claims about the timeliness nor the completeness of the links or legal information posted.  These homeschooling laws and legal information are being provided free of charge.  Postings of rules and regulations are subject to change.  Seek the advice of other home-educating parents or homeschooling organizations in your area for more help or contact your county superintendent of schools.  Plan to file a Notice of Intent to homeschool with your county superintendent or child's current principal.  (This document may also be known as an Affidavit of Intent, a Letter of Intent, a Notification of Intent, or a Declaration of Intent.  Sample from Tennessee.)   

Homeschooling Conventions in Iowa (IA)
Conferences, Expos, and Book Fairs

Buy Balancing the Sword!

Balancing the Sword is a structured study guide for every chapter of the Bible.