Balancing the Sword - A comprehensive study guide to life's manual
Perfect to frame the discussions of your family worship or a church-wide study.


Buy Now


Reading Planner

Vocabulary Tool





Study Support








Tell a Friend


Bookmark and Share

West Virginia (WV) State - Homeschooling Laws and Regulations

Homeschooling is legal in every American state.  The Department of Education states, "Parents in all 50 states and the District of Columbia have the option to home school their children" (Department of Education, NCES). School attendance is compulsory for all children; however, parents have the legal right to withdrawal their children from government schools to enroll them in qualified private schools or to educate their children at home.  This is only proper considering the fact that the duty and the right to educate the next generation were appointed by God to parents even before God created governments.

Each state has laws that govern matters such as how parents are to declare their intention to homeschool and what topics must be included in your home-education program.  Some states require periodic standardized tests and more formal records be maintained. One of the great benefits of homeschooling is the liberty of homeschooling parents to choose their own curriculum.  GETTING STARTED CAN FEEL OVERWHELMING, BUT MULTITUDES OF PARENTS ARE HOMESCHOOLING AND SO CAN YOU!  It is my pleasure to help your research efforts.  Below are links to key government and non-government pages.

West Virginia:  "Home instruction must be in the home of the child to be instructed or in another approved location and must be for a time equal to the school term of the county. The person or persons providing home instruction must file a notice of intent to prove home instruction that contains the name of the child to be instructed. The notice of intent shall be given at least two weeks prior to withdrawing the child from a public school. W. Va. Code § 18-8-1 (a); (b)(1) The person or persons providing the instruction must submit satisfactory evidence of a high school diploma or its equivalent and formal education at least four years higher than the most academically advanced child for whom the instruction will be provided. The person providing home instruction must outline a plan of instruction for the ensuing school year. W. Va. Code § 18-8-1 (b)(2)(3). The person or persons providing the instruction shall annually obtain an academic assessment of the child for the previous school year. This can be satisfied by an approved standardized test; a written narrative indicating that a portfolio of samples of the child's work has been reviewed by a certified teacher or other person mutually agreed upon by the parent and the superintendent, and that the child's academic progress is in accordance with the child's abilities; or evidence of an alternative assessment of the child's proficiency mutually agreed upon by the parent and the superintendent. The assessment of progress must be submitted on or before the 30th of June of the school year covered by the assessment. W. Va. Code § 18-8-1 (b)(4). The superintendent or a designee shall offer such assistance, including textbooks, other teaching materials and available resources, as may assist the person or persons providing home instruction subject to their availability. Any child receiving home instruction may, upon approval of the county board of education, exercise the option to attend any class offered by the county board of education as the person or persons providing home instruction may deem appropriate subject to normal registration and attendance requirements. W. Va. Code § 18-8-1 (b)(4)(iii)." (Source:  "State Regulation of Private Schools," West Virginia, by the U.S. Department of Education Office of Non-Public Education (2000).)



Disclaimer:  Balancing the Sword makes no claims about the timeliness nor the completeness of the links or legal information posted.  These homeschooling laws and legal information are being provided free of charge.  Postings of rules and regulations are subject to change.  Seek the advice of other home-educating parents or homeschooling organizations in your area for more help or contact your county superintendent of schools.  Plan to file a Notice of Intent to homeschool with your county superintendent or child's current principal.  (This document may also be known as an Affidavit of Intent, a Letter of Intent, a Notification of Intent, or a Declaration of Intent.  Sample from Tennessee.)   

Homeschooling Conventions in West Virginia (WV)
Conferences, Expos, and Book Fairs

Buy Balancing the Sword!

Balancing the Sword is a structured study guide for every chapter of the Bible.